Smoking in restroom triggered fire alarm, deputies said

Fire alarms went off today in the Village at Pierce College at 2:53 p.m. According to Deputy Adam Sanchez, the alarms were triggered by someone smoking in the bathrooms.

All Village classrooms were evacuated.

Deputies arrived on the scene and investigated the area, checking every room in the Village.

“It’s a fire alarm, but we don’t see anything,” Sanchez said as he arrived at the scene. “We don’t think there’s an actual fire, but we are going to check out the building.”

Firetrucks arrived on the scene at 3:11 p.m.

“The fire alarms send a signal to the fire department, so they responded,” Sanchez said. “Everything is good now.”

At 3:18 p.m. Sanchez cleared the area and told the students and teachers outside the Village that it was safe.