81.9 F
Los Angeles
Sunday, September 27, 2020

Football’s last game rescheduled

Football’s last game of the season against the Santa Monica College Corsairs had to be rescheduled to another day due to the air quality caused by the Woosley Fire.

SMC released a statement  cancelling all events including the football game that was supposed to start at 1 p.m.

“Outdoor activities are cancelled at SMC today, Saturday, November 10, 2018 due to current information regarding  air quality, road and travel conditions, and other related factors,” the statement read.

Head coach Carlos Woods said he found out of the change on the same day.

“We just had finished our pregame meal and we were heading to grab our equipment and get ready to go on the bus when their president decided to call the game off due to the air quality,” Woods said.

Woods said he told the players immediately of the news. Not everyone was happy, but understood the situation.

“They weren’t pleased but they knew that there was a possibility it could have been moved,” Woods said.

Woods said that it is the same approach regardless if it moves to another day.

“We have gamers. We have some players that will play on any day of the week when they get the opportunity, especially for the sophomores to get a few more plays on their film just to help solidify the offers that they want,” Woods said.

Even though they did not have a game some of the players stayed on campus to help out at the evacuation center.

“They went and helped out at the Red Cross. I’m very proud of them,” Woods said. “15 of the guys volunteered throughout the day.”

Woods said  at the end of the day what was important is that everyone was safe.

Marqi Morgan, outside line backer, said that them moving the game helped them prepare more.

“We got a little extra work in. Safety first. It wouldn’t be smart to play out there in the smoke. We are just going out there and do what we do best,” Hathorn said.

Morgan said that they treat the day change life if were another game. They go in fully focused.

Dez Fils-Aime, strong safety, said they arrived early on the day of the game.

“We arrived early around 7:30 or 8 a.m. because we were going to meet to have our meal and leave, Fils-Aime said. “Then we were already on the bus when we got notified that the game had been cancelled.”


Felipe Gamino
Sports Editor 2016- present Circulation Editor 2019- present STAFF- Fall 2015

Latest article

Laptop delay

As courses transitioned online, COVID-19 exposed the digital divide with students who have access to reliable internet and computer access and students who do...

Under Smoky Skies

Surrounding fires have filled the skies with smoke and have caused unhealthy air conditions for large parts of Los Angeles County, including Woodland Hills. The...

Message from Snoop Dogg: Read the syllabus

Usually a syllabus goes unread … until Snoop Dogg tells you to read it. That’s what chemistry professor Benny Ng did. As a result, hundreds of...

No longer out of place

Despite Sofia Zaragoza’s academic achievements, she second guessed her abilities throughout her educational journey. “I often really felt out of place, and I didn't think...

Making a stand by taking a knee

In response to months of protests in support of Black Lives Matter (BLM), athletes have used their platform to bring awareness to social inequality...
- Advertisement -

Related Articles